Sunday, June 27, 2004

A future post

I'll have a long post coming in the near future, I hope regarding an amends I need to make to this ol' country I live in. I was working on it and I realized I need to run it by a few people first before I actually publish it. The 9th Step of AA's 12 Steps reads "Made direct amends to such people [as we have harmed], except when to do so would injure them or others." I have a lot of confusions regarding America and Americans on the one hand, and my July 4th born Daddles on the other. That is what I owe an amends for, but the actual details I need to refine and make sure I'm taking responsibility for my own actions rather than adding more unnecessary pain to the mix.

My sense is that there are a lot of people in a similar boat to mine, though perhaps not as shrouded in alcoholic "logic." We all probably know people whose political passions obscure their vision of what is of value in others of different ideas. We all have a little bit of the reactionary and the radical inside us--that oceanically violent urge "to kill them all and let God sort 'em out" idea. That sort of indiscriminate view excuses way too much in ourselves to be justified. That sort of thinking I must dispense with and take each person as they come. Understand that each person has a lesson for me. But more to come on this later...

No comments: