Friday, January 14, 2005

Interesting Dreams to Report

A coworker of mine told me that when we dream of celebrities, we are "on the brink of fame." (Do I really want to be famous, though? That might seem to be an odd question to ask, but in these times, I wonder if being famous might not be a liability instead of an asset.) I've had a couple of dreams with celebs in them.

A couple of weeks ago I had a dream that Brad Pitt helped me move a salad bar back into place, that I had mistakenly moved when I leaned on it. In the dream, I thought it was solid, and it stood by a set of windows that looked out onto a gorgeous field lined by buildings. He even gave me a few "words of advice" on how to "be in this place."

Yesterday, I had a rather complicated dream, but I was back in junior high and my brother went to a party given by Will Smith, which he said was a bust, "It was so boring, but I think he knows the errors of his ways so he's doing it again." So we were outside these doors of what felt like a high school gymnasium, and we could hear a lot of manic music with a heavy 4-4 beat, and I was bored standing there, not really expecting much of a party that I would enjoy, but I endured it. The doors opened up, and my brother and I went in with the crowd, and we got separated, but he was having a good ol' time. I somehow materialized into another town entirely. It was like I disappeared, but left my clothes in the high school gym. The people in this other town were very accepting of me, even though I was stark naked. There was some strange scandal going on about public service and cable rates having been raised at three specific housing complexes, one of which had the name "Cadwallader," I remember. (That's the name of a law firm in NYC, btw, though spelled with only one l.) And then I somehow went back in time to the party I mentioned that my brother thought sucked. I actually found myself enjoying it however. He wandered around the place all grumbling and sour, and I found a room where classical music was playing and I sank into a lovely reverie by a cozy fireplace and let the music transport me where it will.

Somewhere in all that, I overheard someone talk about Danny deVito and that he said a really funny line to someone as a devastating comeback. Or some such, I gather. It could have also been a quote of a funny line he said in some latest film. I remember watching the trailer of the new Chilli Jones movie--can't remember the title. DeVito says to Travolta, "What about speed?" referring to the cars they had driven to this club. Travolta retors, "When you get to be this famous, people will wait."

Weird. But astro.com recently noted that Saturn had transited into my fourth house. I remember 29 years ago approximately when Saturn did the same. My family moved to Littleton, and I was really lonely, but I dug into my studies, and worked very Saturn-like at my studies, and it paid off with getting into Dartmouth.

I feel a real surge of energy, and I think it's coming from connecting with deity in a new way. (Interestingly, I just Googled "Dian-y-Glas" and my website came up! Freaky!) With the coming shifts in the economy, I'm leery of getting into anything about fame right now, but I also have to "follow the otter". The otter is leading me to writing this really cool children's story, which I think might have to do with the Blue God. I wrote a scene abut a peacock suddenly appearing in one of the two main characters' back yard. The peacock was sacred to Dian-y-Glas, and was also sacred to a couple of Egyptian gods as well. The peacock with its painted fan was all the more unusual because it has an immunity to asp-poison, and with the ibis, could guard pharaohonic individuals from attacks therefrom.

This story, like my other projects influenced by deity, is not writing itself in chrono order. It can get a little frustrating, but I just "follow the otter," which is a strategy also for the other main character. I'm wondering if this piece might not be a little like Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. I'm tempted to go back and re-read them, but the trilogy is being adapted to be a musical.

On an entirely different note, I saw the WGA nominations for Best Original Screenplay, and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Original:
The Aviator
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State
Hotel Rwanda
Kinsey

Adapted
Before Sunset
Mean Girls (!)
Million Dollar Baby
The Motorcycle Diaries
Sideways

Now I'm actually rather impressed with these. Garden State wasn't a movie that sounded like one I wanted to see. I was sort of hoping that Birth would have gotten a nomination. But those five scripts are respectable, as are the five for adaptation. Mean Girls is a very pleasant surprise. I actually really liked that film. Tina Fey did a wondrous job with it. (Wonder if her last name has anything to do with the Craft. Just wondering.) I didn't see Before Sunset, but that won the Village Voice Critics' Poll of the best film and the best screenplay. I'm rather surprised it got a nomination, but I haven't seen the film. Perhaps I'll be owna-wayblay. But I rather doubt it. To me, the shocker: Finding Neverland didn't get a nod. My favorite movie an also-ran. Rats, you wuz robbed! Although I can't find fault with the noms as they are, really. C'est la vie du l'escriteur.


No comments: