Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Grand Jury's Over!

Thank Gaia!

Another characterization: "Good morning, Mr. Morell, would you state your name, shield number and precinct for the record."

"Officer Morell, Shield # 92323, Precinct 5a(1)"

"And what do you do in the 5a(1) Precinct?"

"Anticrime Unit. I canvass the area in plainclothes, looking out for criminal acts or trying to prevent them from happening."

"And you were working on the day of August 17th, 2004?"

"Yes I was."

"And were you working that afternoon, around 3 p.m.?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"And did you have the opportunity to apprehend someone at that time?"

"Yes I did."

"And what was the name of that individual?"

"Richard Dencktnicht."

"And what circumstances led up to the arrest?"

"I was called to a Bodega at 1-1/2 Avenue B, where a robbery had taken place. My partner and I got there and talked to the manager--"

"That would be Ms. Richard-Sellers?"

"That is correct. She said she had been robbed and attacked. She looked like she had been hit in the face and complained about a loose tooth."

"Were the EMTs called?"

"Yes, someone had done that."

"And were there other people in the store?"

"There was one fellow, a Mr. Richard-Salem, who had quietly witnessed what had happened from the back."

"And did you ask Mr. Richard-Salem to help you find the perpetrator?"

"Yes, we did. We got in the control car and we started to canvass the area and--"

"Sorry to interrupt, but would you explain what 'canvass' means?"

"Sure. Canvassing is searching the vicinity of a crime for a suspect. Mr. Richard-Salem was in the car with us, and near the Hamilton Fish Library--"

"That is on Pitt Street?"

"Yes. He spotted the suspect. My partner and I pulled up near to Mr. Dencktnicht and announced ourselves and he started to run. I gave chase, and we turned onto 9th Street. My partner got to him first and he fell to the floor. He moved his arms all around and kicked and thrashed about. I got one of his arms in a cuff, but he put his other arm under his back and refused to allow us to apprehend him. After a few minutes of this, we cuffed him and took him to the Precinct."

"And did Ms. Richard-Sellers later have the opportunity to see Mr. Dencktnicht in police custody?"

"Yes she did."

"I have no further questions for the witness."

Subtext of Officer Morell: Argh! My day off and I have to come into the Grand Jury and testify! Bastard Dencktnicht! Better get an indictment's all I can say. Well, these people look mostly regular, though I can see the black woman doesn't believe a word I say. Too bad. I'm only trying to help. Though I think they deserve all that they get. They don't fool me, these people. In fact, I don't like a lot of the people here. The foreman seems OK. Reminds me of Father Richard O'Malley at Our Lady of Perpetual Backdraft. Nice fellow--too bad about the altar boys."

(Maybe more to come later. All this was made up sort of. The case details were, certainly. White cops seem to be fairly generic to me, alas. I'm merging a whole bunch of fellows together into one. But there will be other sorts of cops and ADAs and even jury members to come...)

No comments: