Monday, August 02, 2004

Maybe this is melodramatic...

I work literally across the street from the Citigroup building. Today, there's a terror alert, and it's being haphazardly handled. A co-worker came in for the day shift, furious that 53rd Street hadn't been closed. She'd already seen 4 panel trucks go by as she came in to work. I'd heard also that while the entrance in front of 599 Lex (my building) was closed off, people could still come out RIGHT UNDER THE CITIGROUP BUILDING as of last night. There are police with submachine guns and attack dogs in front of 599 Lex, but the subway's still open? And 53rd Street is still open? I mean, like WTF?

My shift ends soon, and I'm pretty sure that if there's an attack, it's not going to happen before 9 a.m.--aren't I the optimist? But I just have to say, enough of this cheneying fear already. I've been telling my friends I don't want to get used to seeing cops with AK-47s around everywhere. That's h0w fascism starts, y'all. That's how the frog boils to death, a degree at a time. I want to jump out of this concrete pond now!


No comments: