Friday, March 09, 2007

Strength Odin Bear - Opening Night!

At long last, the hard work of showing up to rehearsals, learning my lines, delving into the character of "Dale Harding" and interacting while in that character with my fellow crazies. I've pretty much not done much of anything else creatively. Writing draws from a similar map of brainware to what goes into creating a character. I think I can direct a play and write at the same time, because that's mostly administration stuff. Acting isn't "generative" in the same sense that writing is, but there is a different kind of generating going on within the actor, and that process does impinge on the writer, at least in me it does.

(I am able to act and write when a full-time job isn't involved, however. But I haven't been able to create at the workplace for a good decade now, not that I haven't tried.)

I needed to get onstage to jump-start my creativity in a different way. It feels good to be here, but I do long to be able to jump back into my writing. Perhaps I'll be able to get back to it next week.

In any case, I'm excited to be making my Albany debut in a wonderful play.

No comments: