Monday, September 26, 2005

Two more days left

It's a bittersweet moment to leave a job. I won't really miss the work at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I'm just headed to more of the same, but maybe with a different kind of pressure. I'll be leaving a rather cushy gig as a weekend overnight word processor for a more stressful job as a 9-5 Monday-Friday legal secretary--though it is in Albany and not NYC. I'll find out how busy the job is when I get there, and who knows? I might love it, I might hate it, I might have all sorts of feelings until I get into a groove with it.

Still, the feelings I'm having about leaving the weekend/overnight gig are as intense as I would expect to have, given that I've been at this job longer than I've been at any other one. Before this, the longest I held a job was 3 years 10 months or so, and that was the most fun job I've ever held, as a book indexer. It just didn't pay well--publishing just doesn't.

I had feelings about leaving that job as well, and actually almost every job I've left there's been some sadness. People move on, it's part of the postmodern condition I guess. Some people move on much more frequently than I have. I started this job 6 years ago. Interesting that the longest duration would be at a job that has the oddest hours possible, and at a place where day shift would be the last shift I'd want to work. "Place"? Really I meant "field."

I'm going to miss the people I have had the privilege to work with over the past 6 years. I do hope to stay in contact with these people. I have said that in the past and not meant it, but I do mean it now. These folks have become a part of me, and it is a sorrowful moment to leave them and go on to brighter, bigger things. I'm deepening my relationship to nature--that will make it bright, bold and beautiful at the onset. I'm also saying yes to the earthly relationship to my writing as regards the notion of place. I'm impelled to relocate to Albany--this is a movement from my soul, from my own unusual daemon. People for whom New York City is "IT" would never understand this idea. I myself used to be of that persuasion, but I see that staying here has been slowly killing me. It's time I sashayed up to a more verdant and lush possibility.

So I'll relish these last two days of overtime--yeah, that's kind of confusing that word--and then I'll trust the universe to provide.

Card of the day: The Emperor.

No comments: