Thursday, July 01, 2004

More on my Unusual Schedule

This is actually my weekend. My "Sunday" as it were. So try and imagine that tomorrow night at 7:30 p.m. will be my Monday morning. But I won't go into work until 12:30 a.m. (I have "deakfast", meditate, write my "Wake-Up pages" (as opposed to Morning Pages), do some other stuff and have "nunch" before I go off to urk'lly-workel-work.) I like to walk from the Lower East Side to my office on 53rd/Lex, but sometimes with all that time, I end up taking the bus instead. I work some hours, then go to a couple of post-work appointments I have, then home to take/make phone calls, then off to the park or "Tar beach" for some sun. Then home. Friday-Monday, the time before work is truncated as I generally get to work between 10:30 and 11 p.m. those nights. I work every other Thursday--next week I'll take a 3 day weekend. Generally speaking this adds up to 84 hours over two weeks' time.

Believe it or not, I think this is sane, given what field I work in. Not to take the inventory of people on other shifts, but if one is to work around as many micromanagers as big ol' NYC Law Factories hire, doesn't it make sense to be working on shifts where as few as possible of them abound? Of course, it would be even better if I could work in a different field entirely. But I have those verdammten G-School Loans back to pay. With a $440 monthly payment, my options are a bit limited. Still, I dream of a day when I'll be able to live comfortably and reasonably well, teach playwriting and directing to students, teach healthful and delicious cooking to needful persons, facilitate critical thinking workshops and participate in building a Big Eden-type community some place wonderfully rural and cosmopolitan at the same time. My American Dream for today...

No comments: