Monday, November 22, 2004

Haven't posted any recipes in awhile

I realize that so much has been going on, I haven't really sat down and tried to create any new dishes. I've been mostly eating out or making my Lentil-bentilz. I did have that unusual meal with the eggs, squash, millet, apple and nuts. (Didn't work all that well, but maybe I'll have another go at some point.)

Right now, I guess as far as my food goes, I'm in a "comfortable groove." I'm not bored with my food at all. I feel pretty blessed, all things considered. I have pretty much the same breakfast every day, unless I'm meeting a friend. Then I switch my grain from 4-grain gluten-free cereal to brown rice and I switch my fat from 2T nuts to 2 strips of bacon.

For lunch, it's been mostly the lentil-bentilz or I go out. There's a wonderful restaurant on the next block from my home that serves generous veggie portions with 6 oz. of grilled salmon or chicken. (Mama's Food Shop also has mac&cheese and mashed potatoes, fried chicken and meatloaf for those who are not on restrictive diets, as well as some delicious desserts I can no longer tolerate.) And dinner has been a salad with cheese and either turkey or chickpeas, chicory and arugula for greens, and an assortment of mixed veggies. Squash with the apple, nuts and butter. A sugar-free jello cup. If I don't fix "brinner" I go to Odessa where I can also get generous portions of veggies.

I do feel a need to start experimenting more with chickpeas and perhaps corn and peas as well. It appears that life is about to get very difficult for a short period of time. And I wonder at my debt-level whether I'm in deep doo-doo or not. I have a sense that I will be going through some pain and suffering around the pain. The suffering will probably be reactive and disappear once I apply the principles of spirituality to the situation. Just in case, I've been slowly stocking up on canned chickpeas and vegetables. I probably should get a couple of cases together. With the way these people are running things, I wouldn't be surprised at the level of their short-sightedness. It's probably something now to consider about moving to the furthest northern reaches of Manhattan or the Bronx, even, just to be closer to more natural environs.)

I'll probably experiment with Hoppin' John and stuff like that. Black-eyed peas, cannelini, great Northerns, etc. I like beans, but I'll probably get tired of them at some point. Still, I'm very glad I have my abstinence, and I sometimes need to just write that out.

No comments: