Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Post-...

In the 90s ("like, ohmigod Sunbeam! That is like so LONG ago!), I remember having a conversation with a theater techie type person about the prefix "meta", how wonderful that was to drop in front of other words. Meta-transformative. Meta-baroque. Meta-modern. That quickly devolved into metacarpal. Metabolic. Etc. I even went so far as to craft "metacarpal tunnel vision quest for fire engine red nail polish sausage and biscuits." (I could go on, but for dignity purposes, I shall cease and desist therethrough.)

Anyway, another one of those wonderful prefixes is "post-". I've been thinking that perhaps it's time for some of us to embrace a transitional label--"post-national." Which would mean that some of us would be "post-American", but also "post-Mexican", "post-French", "post-Chinese," etc. And I would also like to embrace "post-corporate", which would also mean "post-Monsanto," "post-Microsoft", "post-Archer-Daniels-Midland," etc.

We need to move "post-business," as well as "post-fundamentalist." Some of us might be "post-religious" and others "post-atheist". Others "post-pagan," even. I'm even willing to say that I'm a "post-artist." I can certainly embrace "post-wage-enslaved". See? There's all sorts of possibilities with "post." Of course there are also things like "post-free", "post-tolerant", "post-loving", synonym for which might just be "dead", "necrotic", "moribund." We are moving not just through a "post-literate" age, but a "post-tonic" age as well. Some people even seem to be "post-feeling" and "post-sensitive." (Again, that death synonym thing applies.)

Perhaps all this is moot. I'm seeing that I need to embrace much of that which I am not, in order to bring it all to light. Yesterday I read in scattershot mode Paul Levy's latest on awakeninthedream.com. I have been "fascinated" with Bush and Co. and have felt the hooks of that destructive illness sink its tenters into me. It's because of what's going on in the country, that I have come to see myself as "post-American" and "pre-neonatoheiric" (newly-born sacred--feh, I'll come up mit etwas besseres). Even so, I consciously send light and love to all these neoconservative servants of Yaldabaoth and Chthulu and the other archonic entities because we are all sons and daughters of Sophia.

Just something I needed to say today. Part of my FAGging it, as it were, though I need to add love into that and change my Fag into a Flag.

No comments: